The organic herb, vegetable and flower garden that Holly constructed at the back of the Mt Lebanon Caffe came into its own during May. Lots of rain mixed with sunshine will do that I guess. The back porch thereby looking rather beautiful in an industrial sort of way. As soon as we could we started using the herbs in various quiches, salads and significantly in our theme dishes. This month we explored Tastes of Israel. A geo-politically complicated and emotionally charged region with fantastic food. With Arabic, Mediterranean, African and European influences, the foods and flavors can be complex, robust, simple and refined. We tried to show this off in the monthly dinner that spilled into June.
Tastes of Israel Menu - June 3rd, 2013
- Vodka Limonana (Sparkling Mint Lemonade)
- Potato and Parsnip Latke with Labneh
- Burekah - Savory, Feta and Ricotta Pastries
- A medley of Dips: Creamy Beetroot with Goat Cheese and Hazelnut, Burnt Eggplant with Pomegranite and Roasted Butternut Hummus with Date Syrup
- Pistachio and Citrus Soup with Saffron
- Sea Bass in Chraimeh Sauce with Fattoush
- Shawarma Style Leg of Lamb with Lemon Tahini and Beet, Carrot and Celery Root Slaw
- Orange Coconut Semolina Cake
A lot of the pictures that accompany this entry are available on our twitter feed @orbiscaffe.